Friday, June 19, 2009

Religulous

I had seen Bill Maher on "The View" a while back as he was advertising for his movie religulous. I was so frustrated listening to him mock one of the ladies as she said God had spoken to her and he told her she needed to check into a mental institution. This movie is a comedy documentary that walks around asking people about religion and questioning and mocking their faith. Curiousity got to me when my husband and I were at Movie Gallery and I decided I wanted to see what it was all about. Of course the goal of the movie was to make religions look silly and he actually says that people which believe in God have something neurologically wrong with them.

In life we are faced with these type of people everyday and some are our loved ones. As Christians one VERY hard thing for me to understand is most of us don't love like Jesus would want us to. We ridicule others, mock others, and we of all judge others. The worst part of it all it takes place inside the church. I hear it in every church everytime I go...the gossiper whispering in the pew. Or the pianist is mad because someone wants to sing and they won't get their solo. I have literally gotten up and walked out of a church because there was a lady sitting behind me who talked about every person that came through the door. Whether it was there clothes or something they did or said she talked about it.

As Christians we are judged (I personally believe) more than ANY other religion. People despise us for some reason maybe it was a bad experience they had at church. Or MAYBE its because alot of us talk the talk but don't walk the walk. It is hyprocritical and is something even I am guilty of. How can we preach the Gospel if we aren't living our lives according to God's purpose. I have heard it over and over especially from the Hollywood crowd that God is a non judgemental God and basically live your life however you like, don't worry about the Bible to get to Heaven all you have to believe is Jesus Christ is the Son of God and was sent here to save us. I don't believe that at all, God is a very strict God and has provided with basically a rule book. To many people have one foot in the Church and the other out in the World.

We are all human and we will ALL make mistakes BUT we can't make mistakes just to say I will repent later. There may be no "later". Get the ridicule and gossip out of our churches welcome and love one another with support and true care. Be understanding to others and love ALL those we come across in our paths. Christians have caused the criticism that is upon us now its our duty to show what being a Christian is truly about. Surround new people in your church with your love. I went to a new church a few months ago probably 4-5 Sundays in a row not one let me say it again NOT ONE church member came up to me and acknowledged my presence. The final straw for me was a young lady came over and talked to a girl sitting next to me and never said "Hi my name is". The congregation was to into talking to their cliques and talking about clothes rather than welcoming someone to their church. For all they knew it could have been my very first time hearing the Gospel and all I could see were hypocritical stuck up people. Is that what you want someone to think there first experience seeking God? Think about it....

4 comments:

Tidbits of Torah said...

You typed: As Christians we are judged (I personally believe) more than ANY other religion.

Have you heard what your lips spoke? What about the pogroms, the holocaust, the blood libels, the expulsions, etc... etc...of the Jewish people? And this was from the christian church. Do you not know the role the christians played in the persecution of the Jews throughout time?

journeyman said...

First I'll address your post... you are quite right about pretty much most of what you have shared.

I have personally experience every bit (and perhaps more) of the things you stated.

After backsliding for more than a decade, I receive a call from God. I now allow the Lord to guide through His spirit that I may be instructional to others. To help them not follow this vicious cycle. Scripture says:

Romans 1:22 - Professing to be wise, they became fools
Romans 1:28 - And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper,
Romans 1:29 - being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; {they are} gossips,
Romans 1:30 - slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents,
Romans 1:31 - without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful;
Romans 1:32 - and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.
(NASB)

Notice how that scripture does not differentiate between gossip and hating God. It is all worthy of death.

Pray that God may have mercy on those who practice these things and that God may guard the heart of those who do not practice these things.

God bless you!

BTW, Tidbits of Torah - you typed: "Do you not know the role the christians played in the persecution of the Jews throughout time?"

If you know anything about the LORD you would know that it was by His hand that the Jews were afflicted. Because of disobedience. Jesus loves you! I pray that He may do with you what he did with Paul (you may know him as Saul).

God bless you!

Ashley Haire said...

Tidbits of Torah,
journeyman is correct! If you study the first five books of the Bible which are God's law then you would see where throughout the whole five books God was always helping,loving,punishing,guiding,etc.the Jews. Like journeyman said it was by His hand that the Jews were afflicted. I pray the Holy Spirit will give you guidance and understanding about it. By the way I am not bad mouthing you I am just sharing! God bless!!

Nishant said...

To help them not follow this vicious cycle. Scripture says:
home based data entry