Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Mothers NICU Prayer

I kept you in my womb as long as I could.
Praying that things would turn out like they should.

I'd never imagine we'd end up here.
Everyone keeps trying to calm my fears.

The Doctors say everything should be alright.
But still here I am sleepless tonight.

What a precious little warrior are you.
Fighting for your life and I am praying you won't lose.

God is healing your body right now, even though the doctors believe they know how.

Until I take you to your crib at night, I will be here at the hospital praying by your side.

-Charity Humphries-Meads



One of the hardest things I have ever gone through was seeing my son Brayden fight for his life in the NICU. I praise God everyday for allowing me to put Brayden in his crib every night. I am not the best at writing but at the time I wrote this it just felt good to handle my emotions this way. My ultimate goal for posting this is to try and find supporters for the March of Dimes and other Charities that support premature babies. I believe one of the most important things for mothers is education. Women need to be educated about the dangers and how important it is to listen to your doctors and if you feel like your Doctor is wrong don't be afraid to seek other advice. I began having contractions very early with Brayden and my doctor kept telling me it was just Braxton Hicks. There were other signs that were happening that my doctors kept blowing me off. I knew something was not right. The problem was I trusted their advice and didn't seek any other. You can't go back and change things once the baby is out. Ask questions even if you feel it might be dumb. Ask, it's what the Dr. is paid for. Don't be afraid to call after hours if you feel there is something you feel is important. The picture above is after Brayden had most of his tubes out. The hardest part was not only seeing him on the ventilator but not being able to hold him for 2 weeks. It felt like eternity! But, please take the time to join the March of Dimes group and if you can, donate.

No comments: